Wednesday 9 September 2015

Wang & Zhang are the ITTF-North American Champions

zhang lily gheorge doru - usa.jpg
A relieved Zhang after performing an amazing comeback to be the champion. Photo credit: Henry Lee
USA'S Timothy WANG and Lily ZHANG have claimed the respective Men's & Women's Singles gold at the 2015 ITTF-North America Championships that concluded today, 7 September 2015 in Westchester, New York.
Top seeded in the tournament, WANG had a taste of sweet revenge against Canada's Pierre-Luc THERIAULT, prevailing 4-1 (11-7, 12-10, 3-11, 11-9, 11-6) to win his first ITTF-North American title.
After his victory, the 24 year old shared: "I lost to Pierre-Luc at the Pan American Games earlier this year, so I wanted to get my revenge, and luckily I pulled through."
"I finished second for a couple of times at the ITTF-North America Championships, so it felt really good to finally win it. I was telling myself to stay aggressive and bring in my game, because if I play passive, it's not going to take me anywhere. I played a lot better than expected today, my backhand was on fire," added the newly crowned champion.
The Women's Singles gold medal match was an reenact of the 2015 ITTF-North America Cup final showdown between archrivals ZHANG Mo (CAN) and Youth Olympics Bronze medalist Lily ZHANG (USA). The table was turned this time round is New York, as Lily ZHANG remarkably came back from 0-3 down to win a dramatic final 4-3 (8-11, 5-11, 7-11, 12-10, 11-5, 11-4, 11-8).
After her match, a thrilled Lily ZHANG shared "This is just the second time I have beaten her, and this is definitely one of the most exciting and nervewreckingmatches in my life."
The Canadian team put up a good fight against Team USA in the Men's & Women's Team events, but the Americans proved to be just too strong. In a bitterly fought Men's Team Final that lasted over 3.5 hours, Team USA was able to stage a huge comeback from 0-2 down to win the Team title 3-2.
On the team victory, Team USA coach Stefan FETH stated: "I'm really happy for the guys, they practised really hard to perform well. It just didn't start well, still happy we turn it around and in the end we won, it's what matters and counts."
2015 ITTF-North America Championships winners:
  •  Men's Singles: Timothy WANG (USA)
  •  Women's Singles: Lily ZHANG (USA)
  •  Men's Team: USA
  •  Women's Team: USA
  •  Cadet Girl's Singles: Crystal WANG (USA)
  •  Cadet Boy's Singles: Jack WANG (USA)
  •  Junior Girls Team: USA
  •  Junior Boys Team: USA

No comments:

Post a Comment